Directions: There are 15 blanks in the following passage. For each blank, there are four choices.Choose the best answer and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
Los Angeles has planted 2,000 rubber trees down the middle of one of its main streets. These trees do not 51 rubber. They are, 52 , made of rubber. Mr. Joe Dynamo, a spokesman for Los Angel-es 53 council, explained the reasons. He said:
"These 54 are representative of our virtual society. We have polystyrene grass on our golf 55 .
We have non-milk powder 56 our coffee. We 57 copies in plastic of old wooden furniture. We have fiberglass tombstones. 58 shouldn't we have trees made of rubber?"
"At 50 miles an hour, 59 motorist will see any difference. And our preservation 60 will be lower. You give the trees an annual rinse with detergent, and 61 them off twice a year. We 62 a lot of money because transplanting, pruning, weeding and leaf-collection are all 63 . And we have a 60-year 64 guarantee on each plant. This is rationalization at 65 best. "
51. A. invent B. do C. produce D. create
52. A. in fact B. eventually C. practically D. as a matter
53. A. country B. state C. city D. county
54. A. plants B. trees C. rubber D. streets
55. A. courses B. places C. courts D. playground
56. A. on B.of C.at D. in
57. A. make B. introduce C. build D. set
58. A. What B. How C. When D.Why
59. A. some B. no C. many D. a few
60. A. costs B.price C. money D. award
61. A. sweep B. wash C. tidy D. dust
62. A. waste B. keep C. save D. store
63. A. essential B. accidental C. unnecessary D. necessary
64. A. fade B. non-fade C. die away D. everlasting
65. A. one's B. its C. their D. the